Tuesday 18 February 2014

Other Factors

I've been looking forward to this day; the day my work mates actually did make it to choir rehearsal! For some of them, it feels like years that they've somehow convinced me they wanted to come to the "next" rehearsal. Of course, they never did. There was always a reason why they couldn't make it.

Dinner with family.
Must get something for nephew.
Must pick up the car.
Tired, need to rest.
Going to the gym.
Got so much work.
Etc...

It's not that I needed my workmates to accompany me going to rehearsal so badly. But I just wanted for them to experience what I have experienced and who knows they might find joy and happiness.

Somehow I felt like I asked them too much. Too often. Well, this is what you get from saying "maybe"!

I might come check it out.
We'll see. Sounds fun.
Okay, but I'll just watch.

To me, all of the above means YES I WILL COME.

But these people might mean YES I WILL SAY WHATEVER THAT YOU MAY WANT TO HEAR EVEN THOUGH I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO!

So. Anyways, the FIVE of them managed to cross the road onto the building where rehearsal was held temporarily. I was all excited and sure that this is the day! This is it!

Once they entered the lobby, one came up with the idea of JUST SITTING ON THE STAIRS AND WATCH instead of participating. What's the fun in that? What's the point!

And of course others decided to do the same.

My worst nightmare.

So what, they'd be just sitting there watching me and this bunch of people sing simple songs?! Seriously. Waste of time right?

Thank God one girl was brave enough to stand in front row with me and sang her heart out.

Then I remembered.

Singing and performing is not for everyone. She just happens to be one of us who find joy in singing and don't hold onto our comfort zone or good image too much.

I also remembered.

I don't control what people would feel. Today, we didn't sing those cool, funky, harmonic songs. Today, we had to sing at the centre of an office lobby with ever moving audiences. Today, our group looked smaller than ever.

Today, some things are just not what I expected.

Well...

Life goes on. And I'm going to meet those people soon enough, the next morning in the office. They can tell whoever they want to tell how boring my choir is. But I just have to remember one thing: it's not my fault.

I guess you'd find the pleasant experience when you put the effort into getting one. If you've closed yourself from the beginning, there's not much I could do...

No comments:

Post a Comment