Friday 14 February 2014

Awkward but

"So.. Doing anything tonight for Valentines?"

I asked my colleage before leaving work. She is one of the new faces at work and we don't get to talk very often. But from her voice and her smile, she seems super friendly.

"Well I'm on a long distance relationship so.." she said, "I'll spend time with my parents..."

Then we talked and talked about spending time with loved ones and how weird it was to be joining two friends who are a couple etc.

"So where is he?" I asked.

She seemed a little confused. Then she smiled.

"Ohh, it's a girl"

I paused to feel the awkwardness between us.

I didn't see THAT coming! I was surprised and reconfirmed that it was her partner that we're talking about here.

For a second I wasn't sure whether she was the odd one because she is a homosexual (I hope this is a polite word for it?); or was I the odd one to have been surprised by such a booming trend in our society.

It's really hard to make a judgement in today's free and diverse society. I know for sure that it is wrong if I prefer the same gender. But I can't simply say she's wrong. Can I?

If it is who she is, it is what she's decided for herself, what business do I have to change her? And what harm would she ever cause me?

God knows best.

No comments:

Post a Comment