Thursday 30 January 2014

Indian

So this morning I heard the news on the radio. Woman assaulted in Sale by some man. The man was said to have an "Indian look".

That sounded odd to me.

Often you'd hear people's looks decribed as "Asian", or "Caucasian", or "Middle-Eastern" but hardly a specific country name is mentioned.

First I thought, are they even allowed to mention such thing in the news? I mean, people from Bangladesh, Pakistan or Sri Lanka somewhat look alike. What if the man is not an Indian, yet the whole nation was made infamous? This is only the "looks" that we're talking about.

Then I wondered, is it because Indian population is so big that it's safe to assume that somebody who "looks Indian" actually comes from that nation?

But then again, nothing beats the good old Chinese massive population right? I'm pretty sure the news would still say something like: " The man with Asian looks".

So what is it about an "Indian look"?

No comments:

Post a Comment